Food and Drink at Tokyo Disney Resort

Enjoying theme park food has always been something I look forward to when I visit parks with good food and of course the Disney parks in Japan would not be an exception. They're known to have some exclusive culinary options and the local cuisine influence makes for some really interesting food offerings. This my my first Asian Disney resort visit so I was really excited to see what food and drink options I would find.


Tokyo DisneySea

When I entered the park I naturally headed straight for the legendary Mysterious Island area. You know, that steampunk area that you've seen in all the photos. Well, I can tell you it lives up to the hype in real life but that's another blog post...this one is about food! I found myself in need of some food so opted to try the area's sit-down restaurant, Vulcania because it was quiet and right infront of me. The inside is as great as the outside! As the restaurant was pretty empty so I took the opportunity to grab a load of food to fuel up for the big day ahead of me. Vulcania serves chinese food and has a "move-along the coutner and choose things" layout. With even asking I was kindly chaperoned through the food choice area by an english-speaking staff member who helped me choose the food I wanted. Disney service! Tokyo Disney has a lot of English signage (as you might expect from an American company) but this was still a thoughtful touch that helped smooth out the ordering process as often ordering food in Japan can be a bit of a challenge if you don't speak the lingo.

Inside Vulcania. Look at the level of detail!

Here are the goodies! I got chilli prawns and rice, an almond and fruit jelly and then iced coffee and sugar-free coke to drink. Yes, those two drinks are different!

Tasty!

They didn't have any knives here and, as you can see, the fork is small and more like a dessert fork is quite small so chopsticks are the preferred utensil choice here (as is in most places in Japan). Luckily I'm not too bad with them although I do struggle a bit with rice or really slippery things. If you've never used them before then I'd recommend having a go before your trip to get used to them. The food was all really tasty, I'd definitely recommend this restaurant if you like chinese food. Later in the day this restaurant had a huge queue coming out of the entrance so I'd recommend visiting outside of normal eating hours to guarantee entry.

I worked my way around the park and after a number of rides I found myself in Mermaid Lagoon. Even if you have no intention of riding or eating anything in this area, make sure you take a look inside the indoor section. As with every other inch of DisneySea, it's worth seeing!

I think I was looking for a drink and stumbled upon a pizza restaurant. I then randomly decided that I'd have some pizza because why not? The food is quite good value here, much cheaper than the US parks.

Here's a tiny corner of the inside area of Mermaid Lagoon.

Pretty!

Behold! Pizza! Ok so it's not terribly adventurous but sometime you just need to eat food and it was pretty tasty. In Japan, even the western food has a bit of a Japanese twist so it's a bit different from what you might have at home if you're from Europe or North America.

My cute little pizza and iced chinese (Oolong) tea

I got some fries and Oolong tea with the pizza. I am a big herbal tea drinker, and although Oolong isn't my absolute favourite, I love when parks offer tea or iced tea on tap. It's such a nice change from constant fizzy drinks. The food was tasty. I would recommend this food station if you have a pizza craving or want something less adventurous whilst feeling like you're underwater during your visit.

I tried to get a cocktail at the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge on the S.S Columbia but it was closed (despite it not being near park closing time) so be aware of that if you plan to get cocktails. I think you can prebook it.

To finish the day off I got a beer because, why not finish the day with a toast to DisneySea and it's amazing theming!
Cheers DisneySea, you were great!


Tokyo Disneyland


Now at this point you're probably thinking, she's missed out on some of the essentials here. What's going on. Well, you can calm down because it's time for the green aliens!

The green alien mochis can be found in the pizza restaurant in Tomorrowland (and I think there might be another location). You've likely seen them on instagram and elsewhere because they're really cute and photogenic. It's pretty much forbidden to visit Tokyo Disneyland and not get them!

Ooooooooo
                                                
The outer is a chewy dumping (known as Mochi, it's very popular in Japan) and the fillings are vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. One of each flavour. I forgot to take a picture of the fillings because I was too busy eating them but you can use your imagination. They were nice. Would recommend. They're not the craziest dessert ever but tasty enough to be enjoyed in their own right alongside the photo opportunities.


Practical!

I also got pizza and a drink and it all came in this cute space themed pizza box.


Here's my pizza! The topping is salami and judging by the menu this was the only flavour available. There was also a calzone thing that you could have. It was good. You can't go very wrong with pizza and by now you've probably worked out that I am a pizza fan! I am pretty sure I ordered another tea to go with this meal.


Later it was time for that other Tokyo Disney snack that everyone talks about! The popcorn! Across the two parks they have around 12 different flavour of popcorn on sale. I hadn't fancied any of the ones I had seen in DisneySea as a lot of them were sweet flavours (and I'm team salt) so I found myself an interesting salty flavour in Disneyland. Soy sauce!


It was nice. Perhaps not my go-to choice for forevermore but it worked quite well. I'd recommend it if you're into savoury popcorn. If you're into sweet flavours then there are loads to choose from including white chocolate and honey which both sounded pretty interesting.

Interesting.


Buying drinks from vending machines in Japan if you don't read Japanese is a bit of a lottery. Luckily, as someone who drinks a wide variety of teas and as well as coffee a lot of the drinks on offer were safe bets for me. Except this one. Sokenbicha. Sokenbicha is apparently a blended tea with barley, rice and other things in it made by the Coca Cola Company that was introduced with the tagline "sugar free-tea that offers refreshment, health and beauty". The flavour just wasn't to my taste but it was interesting to try and it hydrated me sufficiently to carry on with my day with the added benefits of health and beauty so who can really complain!? The disney branded packaging was also cute.

The dark horse

Last but not least was this last minute hidden gem. I fancied a quick snack before getting into the long queues for the Beauty and the Beast and Winnie the Pooh rides and happened upon La Taverne de Gaston. I went for the french toast sandwich, chips (because when you're at a theme park you need chips right?) and hot wine. Yes, hot wine!! Don't mind me, I'm just hanging out in Disney drinking my hot wine, like a fancy, slightly christmassy person. Yes, please. I can't remember whether it was mulled or not and I can now find no trace of it online, but it definitely did exist and was a nice little treat!

Now we also need to talk about french toast. For some reason, alongside some other random western cakes and foods, the japanese seem to really love french toast. I kept seeing it everywhere in Japan so the french area of Tokyo Disneyland was a great place to serve it! I'm sure Gaston loves his french toast. I am totally onboard with this because french toast is great but I was about to encounter the next level of french toast existence. Picture two slices of cinnamony, sweet and slightly crispy french toast but make it like a grilled cheese sandwich with gooey melted cheese in the middle. Yes! It's simple, but oh so effective! This is one of the foods I ate in Japan that I still randomly think of now. 10/10 would recommend! Get yourself some cheesy french toast!

So there you have it! I hope you enjoyed my little review of the food and drink I had at the Tokyo Disney Resort! Obviously it's pretty impossible to try everything at the resort so this is only a tiny slice of what is on offer but hopefully it gave a little insight into the sorts of things you can expect! If this interests people, I can do a post about the food at other theme parks in Japan too.

Thanks for reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weird Bucket List Coasters Part 2

The road to 600 credits | Part 1- France