Underrated coasters: North American edition


Luckily for us coaster enthusiasts there are a lot of good rollercoasters out there for us to ride. This means that a lot of great coasters don't get talked about as much simply because there are so many other amazing coasters out there. I've put together a list of 6 North American coasters that I think are underrated and worth a reride.



(Spoilers ahead) I think this is secretly my favourite ride at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I say secretly because it's not the biggest, oldest or fastest ride at the park so perhaps isn't what you'd expect to have as your favourite. I find Busch Gardens Williamsburg's coaster selection hard to rank as there are so many fun rides but Verbolten stands out to me as something fun and unique! It packs so much in! I think it's always tough for parks to follow up much-loved classic attractions with something that will be equally adored. I never got to ride Big Bad Wolf but I know it was a fan favourite and I enjoy an Arrow suspended coaster so I was certainly apprehensive of what a decent follow-up would look like.

Although I may have preferred Big Bad Wolf overall and despite my initial scepticism, I actually feel like Verbolten is probably a worthy modern replacement for such a classic and well-loved attraction. Verbolten is a unique, quirky attraction with loads packed into it's ride experience. There's a storyline, multiple launches, an indoor section, drop track and that classic drop down to the rhine river that echoes and pays homage to the Big Bad Wolf. It's a great family ride with lots going for it that will appeal to a wide audience. Zierer aren't as well known for their thrill coasters as the other manufacturers showcased at Busch Gardens Williamsburg but don't miss out on the unique experience of Verbolten!


Kennywood boasts three wooden coasters (including one mobius woodie) so spoils us for choice when it comes to vintage coaster options! All 3 coasters were built in the 1920s, an accolade I don't think any other park on the planet can claim! Jack Rabbit, like many of it's neighbouring coasters, is a terrain coaster with a quirky layout and is known for it's legendary double-down element down the hillside, which is nothing short of fabulous. It's a superb slice of old fashioned fun and is up there with my all-time favourite coaster elements! I usually see more comments about Thunderbolt than Jack Rabbit but this was definitely my favourite of the two. Racer is also great fun. Jack Rabbit celebrated it's 100 year anniversary last year and is still going strong as a great ride for all the family, so make sure you check it out if you get the chance!



Wicked Twister; that coaster by the beach that everyone forgets about at Cedar Point. It's not the tallest, fastest or longest ride at the park by a long shot but it's limited features are very well-executed. You get multiple launches, some of which are pretty forceful, nice floaty airtime on the spikes as you change direction and near vertical drops both forwards and backwards. I could also include it's two sister rides that I've ridden, Vertical Velocity and Possessed, but I think Wicked Twister suffers the most popularity-wise given the coasters it shares it's park with. Wicked Twisted also has the best location of the three by far,- just look at that view! Rumours of Wicked Twister's demise have been buzzing around for years and I believe Possessed at Dorney Park is on the chopping block, so if you haven't tried one of these coaster types yet I'd recommend trying to do so as soon as you can!



Storm Runner is probably the least underrated of this list as it is still well-regarded by enthusiasts but it suffers from existing as part of such a great line up at Hersheypark. Storm Runner makes up for it's quick ride time (although it's longer than many other Intamin accelerators) with a near perfect combination of elements and just misses out on a place in my top 10. You get a great hydraulic launch with top hat but instead of the ride ending like some other accelerator coasters you then get a cobra loop, heartline roll and then one of my favourite elements ever, the flying snake dive! First you roll 360 degrees through the heartline roll before smoothly continuing that roll into a dive that takes you into a 90 degree left turn. It flows beautifully. Why there's still only one coaster with this element is beyond me! Whilst enjoying this awesome sequence of elements you get nice scenic views out over the park. The ride as a whole just works so well. Don't let Candemonium or Skyrush distract you from getting a ride (and those essential rerides) on this amazing coaster!



As mentioned above, I love Arrow suspended coasters, so I was really pleased to check off another one at Canada's Wonderland. At first Vortex seemed similar to the others I'd ridden but that all changed when I rode the front row. Diving off the mountain and swooping just above the water at full swing is something else! For some reason I was expecting the back to have the highest swing but the front is where it's at on this coaster! I rerode this ride countless times when I visited over a number of days because it was just so enjoyable. I just kept coming back to it! I'm even going to go out there and say that it's probably my favourite coaster at Canada's Wonderland, with Yukon Striker coming up second! Yes, that's right! I love the wild swinging feeling on Arrow suspended coasters and Vortex's wild swings over water really showcase this ride type at it's best! When you hit the brakes swinging at full tilt at the end of each ride you're bound to be grinning! I think it gets a bit lost in Canada's Wonderland's line up as it's older, smaller and slower than some of the other coasters but it's a really unique experience that shouldn't be missed, especially in the front!



Right at the back of the park, past the RMC, B&Ms and other more regularly mentioned, more modern coasters is a ride that, in my opinion, is definitely worth your time. I'd hardly heard anything about this 1981 duelling Intamin wooden coaster before I rode it but it turned out to one of my favourite rides at the park! Whilst the ride doesn't always duel these days and with a layout that is essentially a basic out-and-back with a couple of helices, this coaster picks up speed that it maintains throughout the ride. For me, it's just one of those pleasing coaster experiences that makes you smile. Do prepare to walk half a mile of queueline to get to the ride though! Like Wicked Twister this is another coaster that gets a removal rumour every few years so make sure you ride it if the opportunity arises!


Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weird Bucket List Coasters Part 2

The road to 600 credits | Part 1- France

Year in review: 2023