Weird bucket list coasters

I like to seek out not only "good" coasters but also unique and quirky ones and the two lists are quite different! I've put together a shortlist of some of the quirky coasters I'd like to ride. Some of these may be obvious choices but some, less so! In no particular order, let's begin!


Leap the Dips

 Lakemont Park

Starting with an obvious choice for anyone interested in rollercoaster history (which, in case you didn't know, I am) it is of course Leap the Dips at Lakemont Park in Pennsylvania in the US. It was closed last time I was in the area so it's still on my bucket list. Constructed in 1902, it's also one of only two side friction coasters still in operation that isn't a scenic railway, with the other being in Japan so, Leap the Dips is probably the side friction coaster I'm next most likely to come across. It's a bit of a legend in it's own right, with it's distinctive little top of the lift tower and high-sided track so it's got to go on the list. I think it would have been considered quite the ride back in 1902!

Source: Coasterforce on Youtube



Black Hole

 Freizeit-Land Geiselwind

The Black Hole is a travelling coaster that features an indoor section, kind of like a budget version of Alton's old Jet Star, Black Hole, or any Schwarzkopf Jet Star, Zierer Flitzer or 4 Man Bob put inside a tent. It was made by Zierer (probably not surprising) and the model is excitingly named "Hell Diver". Only one was made and it has operated at Movie Park Germany, across the European fair circuit (including Winter Wonderland in 2009) and now resides at Freizeit-Land Geiselwind in Bavaria, Germany. As a fan of Jet stars and similarly styled coasters and someone who likes to find interesting travelling credits this ride just stuck out to me as something unusual I'd like to experience! It is certainly a bit easier to locate now so maybe one day it will be on the cards!

Source: JB Rides on Youtube



Wild Mouse

 Idlewild

At first glance you might be confused by this one as it sounds like I am really keen to ride a standard wild mouse but hear me out, I have two reasons. First up, this is no ordinary Reverchon or Zamperla creation, this is the world's only Vekoma Wild Mouse! It's got a bizarre tilted lift hill which I believe was from it's first home at Wiener Prater where it had a funhouse-style tunnel around the lift and has cute mouse-shaped cars.

My second reason and how I came to be aware of the coaster is because it used to reside at Alton Towers, a park I have frequented many times over the years. It's always fun to track down interesting old coasters you didn't get to ride when they were at a park you're familiar with. Below you can view Kylie Minogue herself opening the coaster in 1988!

Source: ThemeParkArchives on Youtube.

Tracking down this rare coaster also gives an excuse to check out a smaller park like Idlewild which I always consider a bonus! Idlewild was actually tentatively on a trip plan for me in 2018 but for lack of time other local parks were chosen instead. Hopefully next time I can add it in to get the rare credit! Below is some more offride footage showing the ride at its current location.

Source: David Hahner on Youtube.



Tyrolean Tubtwist

 Joyland

This is a bit of a shameful one for me because I really should have done it but I haven't. For those of you that don't know Tyrolean Tubtwist at Joyland in Great Yarmouth, UK is the only surviving 'relative' of the Virginia Reel, a side friction style spinning coaster that died out in 1982 when Blackpool Pleasure beach closed it's version, the last full-sized installation of the ride type. Tyrolean Tubtwist is a kind of miniature version of this spinning ride and although it's not huge or fast is, in my opinion anyway, an another essential bucket list addition to anyone interested in rollercoaster history, similar to how Flying Turns is at Knoebels. I am still secretly hoping that Knoebels decides to make a reel as their next crazy in-house project, wouldn't that be amazing! I have included a short offride video as I think it shows off the ride type better and will be less nauseating than a POV!

Source: UK Theme Parks on Youtube



Super Railway

 Travelling, France

Allegedly designed by Schwarzkopf (there is some debate about this online, it is possibly Italian manufactured with Schwarzkopf design or maybe just Italian), this coaster has a monorail design, with notable similarities to the modern RMC Raptors with a single rail and track-hugging train design. The ride has distinctive Jet Star-esque cars and little information is known about it, but it is clear to see it's one of the more impressive looking travelling coasters!

Source: Brian Andrelczyk on Youtube



Rodelbaan

 De Waarbeek

Ok so another predictable two here, like Leap the Dips, but as there is a debate about which coaster people consider to be the oldest steel coaster, I've added both as I'd like to do both regardless of their claims to fame! This is the world's second oldest steel coaster, or first oldest if you don't count railway style scenic railways. It was built in 1930 and is located in a small park on the east side of the Netherlands. I've been to the Netherlands a few times now but it's never quite made it onto the itinerary, hopefully I can fix that some day as it looks like an interesting little ride and park!

Source: Rcmaster207 on Youtube



Montana Suiza

 Monte Iglueldo Amusement Park

For some reason I never hear as much about this ride as I do about Rodelbaan but if you count old school side friction scenic railways then this is the oldest steel coaster in the world. Of course it's down to what definition you use, which at the end of the day is all opinion-based but, regardless of that I think this is a notably interesting ride in it's own right due to it's location on a cliff top by the sea and how it meanders through a historic Spanish seaside town. The views and general quaintness of the ride look very charming and it has one of those old style decorative scenic railway trains (similar to those on the Scenic Railway at Margate and other locations). I can imagine this would be a really pleasant holiday activity to do so it's on the list! See the offride footage from Coasterforce to see what I mean!

Source: Coasterforce on Youtube










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weird Bucket List Coasters Part 2

The road to 600 credits | Part 1- France

Food and Drink at Tokyo Disney Resort